Monday, July 21, 2008

When dreams turn to reality...

This is just a quick little post really.  But over the weekend my boyfriend commented on what happens when the opposite of finding one stone flake in a square metre happens.

Him: "You know that dream? The one where you find tons of artifacts? In fact you wind up having more artifacts than soil?"

Me: (Sighs.) "Yeah."

Him: "Well it finally happened. One square metre, 44 centimetres in depth and tons of artifacts."

Me: "Cool. What else did you do?"

Him: "Nothing. I had a square meter full of artifacts that needed to be dug, sorted by material and bagged. There was nothing else I could do. I spent 10 hours on that damn square surrounded by people getting through 5-6 squares the same day."

Me: "Still, that 's interesting isn't it? At least you had a lot to show for it."

Him: "Yeah. Five buckets. The big kind. Filled with pottery."

Me: "And this is why you're lying on my couch?"

Him: "My back hurts from the pottery....."

But all is now well, and he is getting squares which sensibly have only 40-60 artifacts in them. He's a happy boy.

 I miss fieldwork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home