Friday, August 11, 2006

Well, I'm back but only for a night.

Last time I posted, I was on my way to a wedding in Oakville. That was about a week ago. And I don't think I've even talked to my family since Monday night.

The wedding was great and was held on Sunday, so as to take advantage of the holiday Monday. Several of Dayle's friends from university were there and a few people he knew from other contexts as well. The reception was held in a heritage barn, and filled with twinkly lights, an effect that I rather liked.

All the archaeology/historian people (& their consorts) were seated together. Except for one lone historian guy who was supposed to be seated at the "singles" table but came over to party with us later on. And our table *did* dance and party through the night and later at the hotel. I went to bed relatively early at 2am. Blah.

On Monday of course I was tired, but there is no rest for the wicked and off Dayle and I went to New Lowell, so we could pick up all the crew equipment we'd left behind, so we could ferry people to the wedding.

Tuesday morning we were off bright and early to Welland and I had my first official "away" experience as we stayed through the week in a motel room. I'd love to talk about what I saw in Welland but well, there just wasn't time or energy. We get up at 6:30 am, stumble around getting dressed, getting breakfast, getting coffee and driving the 20 minutes to the site. Work 10 hours. At 6pm, we stumble back to the car, and debate what we need to do (pick up groceries, pick up supplies, pick up supper?) and do we need to shower before we are fit to be seen in public? 10 pm comes very quickly on workdays...

So, no time for sightseeing.

The site itself is proving to be an enjoyable experience. It's in a shaded glen (mosquitos!) and just a few centimetres below the surface is an Archaic (5000-3000 BC) site. It's mostly a lithic site, which means that it is a site where people sat around and made stone tools. There's no sign of living there (i.e. a hearth, a trash midden etc.) but there are 40-90 artifact coming out of every square. Mostly its the flakes that come from the tool making process, but we've run into a few tools and an imcomplete point as well.

I don't know where I'm going to be this upcoming week. I might be back in Welland, I might be up around Barrie again. I won't know until Sunday night. And I'll be up in New Lowell for most of the weekend, so I really have to pack well. We're up in New Lowell, to entertain a family guest from France and apparently take him to Algonquin Park.

This is really awful of me, but there's a part of me that would rather curl up in my apartment and rest for a few days, but them's the brakes.

Hopefully I'll blog again soon. Probably on Sunday, when I know what's going on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home