Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Announcements:

First - I am now allowed to apply for a student loan. I guess this means they can still deny me though huh?

Secondly - I have decided on my new class - Landscape Ecology - Which I didn't mention last week because I posted on first on the Thursday before I took it and then I was obsessed with Archaeology Day.

It was neck and neck between Landscape Ecology and Environmental Economics, but today I reached a decision. It was because of an email and some idiots. The idiots were in my economics class and I was stuck between them. They kept talking and whispering - not too each other mind you, but simply commenting on the lecture.

Plus there were several people who kept getting upset about how unfair the market system is. That's not the point of the class, the point is to understand the theory and dynamics a little better, so that we can go out there and make the market place reflect a better reality. Complaining that giving away surplus food should be a mandatory part of the economic picture was, well, missing the point of the lecture. So - loved the prof, thought many of my classmates were idiots. Plus, its a really large class (28), not what you want in your grad studies.

That's not very nice of me, is it? I'm going to read the textbook though, if I can get it. I'd like to get some kind of a handle on the topic anyways.

The Landscape Ecology class was the one I picked. It features a class of 7 people (including me) and although there's a lot of stuff about restoration, there's a lot of stuff about human influences on the landscape. Plus the professor likes archaeology and has a history of working with historic preservation in urban settings (it was Rome, Italy but still...). And then she emailed me back to assure me that I did not have to have a background in computer science, physics and GIS to do get by. Which was nice of her.

Thirdly - I have nearly decided completely on getting my planning certificate, with the proviso that I also develop an archaeological project/ thesis. That way, I can also be eligible for a professional license. Several archaeologists, and city heritage people really encouraged me on this during Archaeology Day. One person actually said, "yeah, you could be our person on the 'Inside!' "

Fourthly, I'm leaning away from applying to law school. Why? Because its 3x more expensive, I'd be in school nearly two years more, and then I'd have to spend another year articling before I could take the bar. Then the law advisor I spoke to said he's not sure if very many classes could tackle exactly what I was thinking. And that there may not be an exact field for me when I graduate, that I might have to spend a few years carving that out. You know what? I've done that or tried too, and I'm not 25 anymore. But the law advisor did feed me pizza during our meeting and told me where to do some more research, just to make sure.

On personal notes - I'm apparently molting and I'm craving carbs - big time! The carb craving I can understand, because I'm pretty sure it ties into my sleep patterns, because I'm not getting good sleep. Which is due to the stresses of starting school and not yet getting my exercise routine in place to burn off all my nervous energy. So I walk up in the middle of the night a few times and end up tired and dreaming of cookies, donuts, bread rolls, cupcakes. My body wants quick energy and it wants it now!

The molting is more mysterious and slightly embarrassing. I'm drinking the water, I'm using moisturizer - but my face is so dry and tight it almost burns and its shedding flakes. Even the area around my eyes is all flaky and red and puffy. Yes Mom, I am keeping my apartment tidy and clean. No, I'm not currently hanging out with cats. Any ideas people?

I'm off to make myself tea.
Oh, and believe it or not, I am actually in a fairly good mood. I'm just a little tired and trying to cover all the highlights.
Kisses to all!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 21 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Thanks for the e-mail. I tried to reply but for some reason it wouldn't work. I do check this space and am enjoying your commentary. I especially enjoyed your "not in a bad mood" entry. Yeah right! I'll pass on the message to the leo and check the wishes of the other two. Take care Love Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home