Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sigh. Well. That's one more Archaeology Day behind me.

When I moved to Toronto a few years ago, it was strongly recommended that I join the Ontario Archaeological Society (OAS). It is mostly an avocational organization, but there are a lot of people who work in the industry who keep their membership paid up, mostly I suspect, for the newsletters, listserv and journal. There are various chapters around the province that are active at different levels.

Joining this organization has led to having growing contacts in the industry, a helpful way to hear about jobs and opportunities. I've gotten at least two jobs because of the list-serv. And volunteering at the OAS has helped too.

For the first year I just came and moved tables, looked around and did what I could here and there. I don't organize the activities or promote the event or anything like that. For the last two I've been involved in recruting volunteers for the day's events and organizing them.

On Archaeology Day there are presentations of all descriptions - flintknapping, simulated digs, pottery, etc. I also have volunteers of all ages involved in setting up dozens of tables, book sales, etc. I end up being charge of directing about 20-30 people all through the day. I'm there from 8:30 to 5:30 the day of, and I spend it walking in circles trying to make sure that everything is flowing along properly. Because you know that if something goes awry, you have to fix it to be better than the original idea and if it goes wrong, everyone will remember for weeks after.

A little like what teachers go through actually. Except that teachers don't go out for beer after (or maybe some do?). I liked that part.

Other parts I liked
- having the volunteers show up about 10 minutes before their shifts ready to report for their assigned duty!
- people knew how to set up the sun shades and tents this year
- no one tried to do physical labour beyond their abilities and no one shied off of it
- everyone got the chance to eat, drink water & take bathroom breaks
- everyone did what I asked. Let me repeat that.....
- Everyone did what I asked.
- And that was almost my favorite part except that I received a lovely pot of purple chrysanthomums half ways through the afternoon from the president of the OAS! They are now on my windowsill and they look lovely!

Now, today, it is back a more restful schedule. I'm running errands, tidying my apartment and doing homework. I have two assignments due this week and I must say that its odd to being doing school work again. But I'm also energized from the the encouragement I received from various people at Archaeology Day, who were genuinly interested in what I was doing and encouraged me to go for it and gave me some advice about future options.

Sometimes its good to be part of a community. There are a lot of people who have helped me along and I know that I wouldn't be going anywhere without having met them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home