Monday, September 04, 2006

I know its been a long time since I posted. And I tell you, this last week came close to wearing me down! A family reunion (sadly, not mine), an outdoor BBQ & bush party - where I was finally lured into the karoke circle-

... and that feeling that you get when its your last week of work and you're totally not caring. Of course that was compounded by the long days (home at night by 8pm), the possibility that my workboots were turning against me (I finally got blisters), and having the kind of workday where we always seemed to be short of water. By Wednesday, I was covered in blisters, bruises and oddly chafed skin.

Not that Dayle and me let that get in the way of actually doing our job. We surveyed those 100 acres of land like you wouldn't believe. I walked over every field and dug through bogs and bush. Dayle mapped in every dry creekbed on the Mobile mapper (there were several) and every spot of signifigance so that the office would later get a very clear view of the property.

And we found one historic site - a midden. I think that was kinda cool.

But it did make my last day all the sweeter... because we got to go back to the "fun" site. The one with sandy soil and hundreds of artifacts a square and no thick bush anywhere and is so, so lovely. And for my last day, I found some really cute pottery, beautiful red chert, a celt (a kind of axe, not a person of gaelic descent) and in one of my last screens a complete projectile point!

And then we all went for a beer after work! Yay! Pretty sweet last day at work, hmmm???

Since then, I've been pretty much hiding in my apartment to clean and to sleep and to organize my stuff for my first day at grad studies at York. I crept out on Friday to run errands at York and we did creep outside yesterday to go to the Exhibition. We saw the Air Show (guess who's idea it was to watch an airplane show...), visited Toronto's oldest surviving log cabin, ate junk food, ran into friends, saw some agricultural stuff, some military stuff, tried to coax Dayle onto the rides (failed at this), and generally spent the time looking through all the displays like the garden competition. Hey this is me we're talking about.

The display we liked the most was in the "Remember When" exhibit, because it was a complete story of the development of the land the CNE is built on. It started from its earliest beginnings and included archaeological displays, early waterpaintings and early photographs. I think we spent nearly an hour and a half going through all the panels and reading everything.

Of course Dayle and me loved it. We're geeks about that kind of thing.

Anyways, must go and continue to tidy and organize.

Love to all,
K.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, 05 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally!! I only checked on a hunch. Luck, luck, luck this week! Wish us the same Glad you found cool midden the last day. makes it seem like a sign. We did projects , organized and enjoyed r=each other Uncovered old video from 97, 99, sooooo nostalgic and sweet. Funny too.
much love

 
At Tuesday, 05 September, 2006, Blogger Erik Buchanan said...

Yay for Grad school!

Glad to have you back. I've emailed you and expect a reply as soon as you have a spare moment (2008?). Hope everything goes well today, and for the rest of the year.

Write when you can.

Erik

 

Post a Comment

<< Home