Tuesday, August 22, 2006

One of the things that is often a trial for me in my non-archaeology life is my weight. Since starting a field position this summer, a number of people have asked me if I've lost weight from archaeology.

Sadly, no.

However, I did hear that somebody was worried about how my weight loss program was going, due to me being away from the gym and all. I must be getting fat.

Thankfully, no.

But a day in the field can let you know about muscles you'd forgotten you had. It takes stamina and strength to shovel litres of soil all day, and a full screen of dirt is a mighty heavy object. And that's just on the days I get to work on a full, 1 by 1 metre square pit.

Then there's field testing. Walking through kilometres of plowed dirt, dragging a shovel and screen through forests and bush so that I can test pit every 5 metres, complete with my back pack full of water, flags and maps...

It's not a job for the sedentary inclined.

But since I will be going back to school this fall (yay me!) I will have to think about ways to keep fit. Washing artifacts is simply not as calorie burning.

In real news, all is going well. We're a little further north this week, doing some test pitting. And have we found anything?

No.

So blah.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 23 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Archeology as a workout sounds interesting. I agree this physical outdoors stuff sounds like hard work. Not for the lululemon yoga clad soccer mom who can't wait to get back to the gym. Me? At present just trying to keep up with my kids is a start. having someone cook all your meals for you on vacation is worth 3 lbs over two weeks. two days of housework and rec director takes care of that Hah! love Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home